Centre of Excellence:
ASPETAR – Qatar Orthopaedic and Sports Medicine Hospital, Doha, Quatar
Dr Pieter d’Hooghe specialises in arthroscopic surgery of the Ankle & Foot, Knee and Hip. He completed his training in Orthopaedic Surgery at the University Hospital Leuven, Belgium, Europe. He was a Fellow at the Amsterdam University Hospital with Mr Niek van Dijk where he specialised further in minimal invasive Sports Traumatology of the lower extremity. He was working in the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery of AZ Delta in Roeselare, Belgium as Director of the FIFA F-MARC Flemish Surgical Center of Excellence, where he treated many national and international athletes. After the European Cup EURO 2000, Dr D’Hooghe’s family was attributed the Noble Baron Title by His Highness Albert 2, King of Belgium. As a previous Football team captain and later medically, he was 17 years involved as team physician/surgeon of FC Club Bruges in Belgium ( Champions League, Europa League, 7 national titles, 4 national Cups, 3 national Supercups ).
As Chairman of ISAKOS’ ( International Society of SportMedicine and Surgery ) Leg, Foot & Ankle Committee he is heading the international group of experts in the field.
As an active FIFA F-MARC Board Member and Instructor, he is also involved in Injury Prevention with worldwide lecturing and assisting in PCMA Projects, with the main focus on the orthopaedic health assessment of Football players.
- Medical doctor ( KU Leuven University )
- Orthopaedic Surgeon ( KU Leuven University )
- Master in Sports Medicine ( KU Leuven University )
- Master in Tropical Medicine (KU Leuven University )
- Head of the Sports Surgical Department of the FLANDERS FIFA Centre of Excellence in Belgium, Europe
- ISAKOS Chairman of the Leg, Ankle and Foot Committee (2015-2019)
- Aspetar Handball Men`s World Cup 2015 Medical Officer
- Aspetar Cycling World Championships 2016 Medical Officer
- Board Member Medical Committee of the Belgian National Football Association ( since 2008 )
- Member of the Medical Staff of Brugge Football Club ( 1995 – 2012, 7 years Youth A-Team, 10 years A-team )
- Editor of the Book: “The Ankle in Football” (2014)
- Editorial Board Member to the Scientific Journal BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders and Aspetar Journal
- Reviewer for American Journal of Sportsmedicine (AJSM) and British Journal of Sportsmedicine (BJSM)
- Medical Lawyer for the Flemish Anti-Doping Tribune